wissen.de Artikel

Making Contact in Great Britain

How can I trace my relatives and friends in Britain?

The referenced media source is missing and needs to be re-embedded.

It is sometimes helpful to place an advertisement in the personal column of local newspapers in the area where relatives or friends were last known to be living. Addresses of local newspapers in Britain can be obtained from 'Willings Press Guide', published annually by:

Reed Information Services
Windsor Court
East Grinstead House
East Grinstead
West Sussex RH19 1XA

The referenced media source is missing and needs to be re-embedded.

Visitors to Britain can trace relatives and friends through local electoral registers, which contain the names and addresses of everyone over the age of 18 living in that particular area or through current telephone directories. Electoral registers and current telephone directories for the whole country can be viewed at most libraries. Telephone directories dating from the end of the 19th century to the recent past may be viewed at:

British Telecom Archives
2-4 Temple Avenue
London EC4Y 0HL, UK
Tel.: (00 44) 207 822 1022

Birth, marriage and death certificates feature addresses of individuals. Copies may be viewed and purchased at:

The General Register Office
PO Box 2, Southport
Merseyside PR8 2JD, UK
Tel.: (00 44) 1704 563 563

Family members: the following registered charities offer a tracing service in urgent cases for immediate family members only:

Salvation Army Family Tracing Service
105-109 Judd Street
London WC1H 9TS, UK
Tel.: (00 44) 207 383 2772

Mehr Artikel zu diesem Thema

Weitere Lexikon Artikel

Weitere Artikel aus der Wissensbibliothek

Weitere Artikel aus dem Wahrig Synonymwörterbuch

Weitere Artikel aus dem Wahrig Fremdwörterlexikon